Happy International Women's Day!

Today is March 8th, the day we celebrate women everywhere. I'd love to give a shout-out to the incredible women I look up to.

Let's start with my mom because this is surely to be the longest one: this amazing woman has been tirelessly working her entire life. She never got to finish her education, only reaching up to 5th grade, because she had to start supporting her family. She came to the U.S. at the age of eighteen in 1976 and lived in Arizona for a short time before moving to San Jose, California with her family. She worked in a factory where they constructed computer parts, but she always talks fondly about the clubs and dances she would go to with her sisters on the weekends. She met my dad at work and slowly began a relationship with him. They moved out together in 1988. She had my sister on July 28, 1990. She married my dad on May 20, 1993. My sister got to be their flower girl (how cute!). I came along three years after that on March 7, 1996. Yes, my birthday was yesterday, and I absolutely love that it comes the day before International Women's Day!

My mom quit her job at the factory once I was born. My grandparents often babysat my sister and I, and, slowly, my mom started working as a housekeeper, deciding it would be an easier job to handle while she was raising us. My dad, of course, took care of us as much as he could, but he was an alcoholic, which caused extreme tension in the household. I sometimes looked at my mom as both the mother and father figure in my life because of this. We moved to Atwater when I was about six-years-old. I witnessed various fights between my parents and remember always siding with my mom despite not truly understanding what they were fighting about (in the end, it essentially revolved around my dad being drunk). I was constantly afraid to come home and see them fighting again. Yet, my mom never stopped working to maintain the household.

I think it was her strength that prevented me from seriously harming myself in middle school. I wanted everything to be over. I even kept the sharpest pair of scissors in my room, but I kept thinking about my mom every time I picked up those scissors. She had dealt with far more challenges in her life, and yet here she was- stronger than ever. She was the inspiration I needed during my darkest times. I still tried to hurt myself, but it got easier with her help. When I fell in love with writing and told her I was going to try publishing my own books someday, she didn't laugh or tell me to pick a more reasonable career. She encouraged me to pursue this dream, no matter how impossible it can actually be.

I can never thank her enough for being there for me, for offering me assistance whenever I needed (especially financially). My dad is now five years sober. She and him still have their problems, but their arguments never get as bad as they once did. She remains a housekeeper and is always thankful for the opportunities she gets. I hope I can one day be as brave as she is.



Ashley Johnson: She inspires me every single day, because she is so undeniably herself. She's the voice of my favorite character ever (Ellie from the Last of Us) and is the pure embodiment of happiness. She has been acting since the age of six and is still going at it. I don't know her personally, but she seems so humble despite having been in the industry as a child (and we all know the horror stories about child stars). No bit of fame seems to have gone to her head. She doesn't try to be "sexy" (though she is unbelievably gorgeous) or put on any fake act on her social media or in interviews. Johnson is just genuinely this fun-loving woman who loves acting and playing games with her friends. I could gush about her for days, but I shall refrain.

Laura Bailey: Yet another woman who plays characters I adore (Nadine from the Uncharted series, Mary-Jane Watson in Spider-Man, and Lucina in Smash Bros. Ultimate). She's another woman I have seen that is constantly smiling and enjoying her life to the very best. She's also great friends with Ashley Johnson, which is just perfect, in my opinion. Like Johnson, I'll have a page dedicated to just her where I'll properly brag more about her accomplishes, but I needed to say something about her now. I feel so fortunate to live in the same timeline as her.

Meg Turney: Turney isn't professionally an actress, but she has done some acting in the past, including providing the voice for the spunky and talented fighter Neon Katt in Rooster Teeth's animated series RWBY. She is a cosplayer, model, and streamer (and my idol). Because of her, I've learned to love myself a little more, which is something I could have never imagined doing. She's constantly talked about her struggles with anxiety and lack of confidence, and now here she is, proudly showing off her beauty and encouraging others to do the same in any way that makes them feel just as beautiful. I had the honor of meeting her at San Jose's Big Wow Convention some years back. I hope I can one day meet her again and personally thank her for showing me just how wonderful it can be to express yourself.


(^^^ I'm on the right. I was trying my best to remain cool... did it work?)

But, overall, every woman deserves a shout-out. We are all pretty bad-ass! I hope I can prove that to you with this blog. We can accomplish anything, especially together. 

If you'd like to learn about this year's campaign theme, check out the International Women's Day website! 

Keep being you. x














Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Voice Actors and Video Games

Getting to Know the Women Honored in this Blog